Friday, April 5, 2013

I'm Back!








  Apparently my life decided that I needed to take a break from blogging and work on some other things instead, BUT I am finding time to blog to you in between cleaning the house, re doing the kitchen (I will post photos after its all done of before and after), and making yummy food for the Church Potluck on Sunday!

Hold onto your britches now theres is alot in this one ;) 

Our Easter went well. We did everything that was planned other than our photoshoot we will see what happens with that later. I might just have to do them myself ;) We colored our eggs and it was fun we even put Ellas foot print on one of her eggs!

Here are some photos of our Easter Weekend



^^ flavored sugar crystals I used to roll the tulip shaped sugar cookies below 







^^ Round sugar cookies (they look like those candy dots) 





^^ The two pictures above are cupcakes I made for the Church for Good Friday the icing is cotton candy flavored.





^^ I had to share this I did not make this pizza this was an amazing dinner he made for me! I had to share :)





^^ The bouquet I put together to brighten up my lovely home for Easter 



^^ The bouquet I put together for my mother in law 



^^ The bouquet I put together for my mom 



My Daughters Easter basket! 



The Deviled eggs I took to my in laws and my parents for Easter Dinner



The Candy/cookie/cupcake bouquet I took to my parents 



A close up of the cupcakes (the icing was bubble gum flavored)






Banana pudding Trifle (my husband made with a little direction ;) ) I think he did and excellent job! 




So the Church potluck, as you can tell I LOVE baking i like to cook to BUT I love to bake there is so much experimenting that can happen and you get to make food look beautiful. If you are anything like me I bake but then when it comes to eating what you have baked you cant do it. Its like you are full by the time you are done so you have a little piece just to make sure you aren't serving something crappy but cant eat anymore, and that is why I LOVE when people come over and when there are Church potlucks family events/holidays I can bake whatever I want and it will be eaten by someone else that can actually enjoy it!



^^ This is how I see our potluck... But inside. This is how I remember our family reunions when I was a kid, But due to moving to Canada and all my family is in the states AND some of the reunions aren't exactly convenient to drive to 16 or more hours away I haven't been to one in quiet some time BUT this year now that I have my baby girl and Im on Mat leave we will be going to my Fathers side of the family reunion The McCoy/Meade Reunion here is the invite to the very first McCoy reunion in 1974

      
 These are the Two                                                                                                                                                                                           that started our AMAZING Family! 


For this Church Potluck

I thought for this Potluck I would make the following:

- Corn Bread ( its such a southern thing and goes with anything!)

- Sweet tea/Ice tea ( What brings on summer more than some southern sweet tea.)

- Lemon cheese cake squares ( lemon and cheese cake its like heaven, perfect for Church ;) )

- last but not least I will be making deviled eggs and there is nothing better for a potluck than deviled eggs and they are so 1950's housewife church potluck.

I may post some reciepes of the above foods once I figure out which ones I will be using :)


maybe next time if I go with the 50's theme I will make a Jello mold ;) or maybe not...


Vintage 1950s Jell-O Salad advertisement. Jello with olives, celery, and who knows what else!  :(

I forgot to tell you! The best part about the church I go to is... They have a potluck once a month! So I get to bake a lot, not to mention they seem to like when I bring treats for after the service.

Here is the cake that I made yesterday for my hubby and I.














And here is how I made it WITHOUT eggs and oil!

1 package of cake mix
1 Cup of water
1 container of greek yogurt

bake the same way the package tells you to.

the Decorate how you want. I felt a little creative so I was experimenting with my piping skills ;) What do you think? Give me some feedback how was your first time using a piping bag?


I would love to have this Book! 

I almost forgot! I am Reading this book called the 1950's Housewife. It is actually really good its like listening to your grandparents or great grandparents tell you stories about living in the 50's. My Mamaw (great grandmother)  never told me stories that I can remember but her house was kept in beautiful condition and the pictures of her and all of her christmas decorations that she would put up. It was like living in a 1950's life. I miss the way she made her sweet tea and the roast she would make every Sunday, how she had her kitchen set up with the little kitchenette table and the dining table in the dinning room/ Quiet room (it only had a wood stove and a couch with a pull out bed in it with some paintings of ducks .
 Kind of like this one.

Her house was amazing! So quiet and peaceful I have so many beautiful memories of her and her house. She is probably the closest thing I have to a 1950's memory. She always looked beautiful hair done perfume pretty clothes (most people would look at them as old lady clothes now but I loved them). I remember she had a Red Lava lamp that I would turn on every time we would go over and she had a big recliner beside it with a picture of my father and his 3 siblings behind the chair. I loved sitting in that chair when no one else was it made me feel so special and when my grandfather and grand mother (mamaw and papaw) would stop by (they drove a tractor trailer so they would come by on their way through) and my papaw would sit in that chair peeling grapes while I sat on his lap and the lava lamp was... lavaing. I have so many beautiful memories I cant wait to share with everyone.
Back to the book though. I am doing as much research as I can so that in June some time I will be taking on the 1950's Housewife Challenge. We will be living like the 50's aside from using the computer for a couple of hours a day (that will be used for blogging and updating you on what has happened through out the day.) I will have my cell on but wont be using it outside of the house and will be using it like a house phone. This is going to be a challenge for me but I am so up for this I really think the women of the 50's knew some things about marriage and housekeeping and keeping yourself looking the best! I want to learn and apply these aspects to my life to become a better homemaker, wife, and mother. 

Here is the book:


Well tomorrow will be a really busy and early day filled with (hopefully) a Photoshoot, finishing up all of the baking and cooking for the Church Potluck and finishing the kitchen (or at least finish painting it!) So I think we might have some cereal for breakfast nice and fast ;)
Kellogg's breakfast cereal advertisement, April 1953. #vintage #1950s #food #ads

I leave you with an amazing song <3 
Happy Spring 






No comments:

Post a Comment